Monday 21 September 2009

Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney

I've finally found the time to go out! Last week my aunt and I went for a stroll along Circular Quay and when I saw the Museum of Contemporary Art, I realised I haven't been there ever, having lived in Australia for 8 months already!

So I told her that we should come and have a look since she's only been there once since she moved to Australia 21 years ago. I was pretty excited. It's free entry so there's nothing to worry about in terms of cost, but really, you have to use your eyes sharply as photos aren't allowed. I obviously took some photos because I didn't know about the rule until one of the MCA people stopped me. Sad that photos aren't allowed, really. I believe art should be shared. Hmm.

The photos I'm putting up here are the pieces that I found intriguing. There were heaps more of them but yeah since I got stopped I obviously have no record whatsoever of what they are.

Okay, first up. A helicopter made of crab shells. How novel is that idea? I would never have thought of it in this lifetime. How awesome! I reckon it should be his signature material/style. Way beyond cool.
Made by a Filipino artist named Alwin Reamillo, who works in Western Australia and in the Philippines. This installation is part of the Making it New: Focus on Contemporary Australian Artists exhibition. Article on his helicopter project here.


Details of how the project was made
(must've been real hard work! See all those helping hands? :D)


My favourite bit, which was probably ignored. A crab shell stuck on one of the walls with the Opera House painted on it! Cool beans.


A family looking at on of the installations, part of the Making it New: Focus on Contemporary Australian Artists exhibition. Some words say: England, Australia, Arvo (Aussie slang for afternoon), Kebabs (a personal fave, teehee), et cetera


Now, this one's one of my absolute favourites. It's such a simple concept. Pie is by spat+loogie with Willoh S Weiland and is part of the Primavera 2009 exhibit.

I'm actually planning to take another day trip out to when they have a performance at the museum where you get to interact with them, eat pie, or physically throw pie at them. I reckon it would be fun. :-) There are 3 more of the said events, 1 in October and 2 in November.


Certainly one of the more intriguing pieces in the Primavera 2009 exhibit,
Christine Eid's Your Place.

There you have it, some of what I've picked up from my short afternoon trip to the Museum of Contemporary Art. It's such a wonderful place to be in! Oh and the museum shop definitely boasts of a lot of interesting finds as well ;-) I'm obviously going back within the next couple of weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment